Monday, October 26, 2009

Bittersweet Memories

After our trip to Washington this summer we took a detour and spent several days in Lake Tahoe with our good friends. (I'll post those pics someday.) We stopped in Klamath Falls, Oregon en route to Tahoe. I was born in Klamath Falls and lived there until I was 9. I haven't been back there since I was 12, I think. It was really fun to show Jason and the kids my old neighborhood. I showed them the house I grew up in and my elementary school. Jason enjoyed the little trip down memory lane; I'm not so sure the kids did. I don't think they actually believe I was ever a little kid . . . or maybe they just really wanted to get to the hotel pool. :)

My house when I was a little girl; there's a great plum tree in the
backyard that made the best forts!
I also had the chance to stop by the cemetery where my brother Johnny is buried. He died while we lived in Klamath Falls. I was 8; he was 17. He died suddenly of a rare heart defect, and I'm not sure my dad ever fully recovered from his death. He was my only sibling. It was a very special thing for me to visit the grave site. I know he's not there, but it was a great chance to remember him and to tell my kids about the uncle they never knew. I have very sweet memories of him, and I hadn't been back to the cemetery since we moved to California in 1984. Being there brought out emotions I didn't know still existed, but I am so thankful I got to share him with my family.


1 comment:

tara said...

Oh, Mary, that is so special that you got to go to your brother's grave... And for your kids too! I'm glad that worked for you to get to see your home town and show your family! Miss you!