I am so grateful for the way God grows us and teaches us. The past few months I have had a sad heart as I have been wrestling through how to be a good mommy to my son. I often feel like I fall short in numerous areas. I love my little boy more than words can say, but often it is beyond challenging to be the mommy of a little guy with special needs. His school schedule is full, his therapy schedule is intense, and the number of "assignments" I get from his therapists each week could keep 10 people busy. Aside from the physical busyness, it can be very emotionally draining. Ty cries at some point during most of his therapies, sometimes for the majority of his therapy. Most sessions involve me practically standing on my head, trying to keep him engaged in what he's supposed to be doing, sometimes they involve me laying on top of him so the therapists can work out the knots in his muscles. It's quite remarkable how strong a 3 year old can be. This usually leads to us both crying. It's exhausting (for both of us). Then there are the daily reports from his teachers. I love Ty's teacher and aides, but they almost always have a suggestion of something new I should be working on. Then there's church. Ty has to have a shadow who stays with him each week to ensure the safety of the other kids in his class. (Serve up the humble pie here.) It's not that he's generally trying to be mean to the other kids, it is just that he gets so excited to see them that he can't help but overwhelm them with affection (sometimes disguised as 3 or 4 slaps on the head.) Turns out most 2 and 3 year old's don't really like that. (Of course Ty has his own sin issues with self control, but usually he reserves those behaviors for his sisters. :) ) Because of Ty's CP, he NEEDS sensory input. But for him to get the same feedback as an average kid, he has to apply about 5 times the pressure. So while it may feel like you've just been smacked on the head, for him it feels like he's rubbing your hair. It's impossible to explain that to little kiddos, not to mention his "gentle" pats really hurt. So we're working on teaching him the difference and what it means to be gentle, but he's 3 and a boy and the learning is a gradual process.
So in the last couple of months, I've been rolling this all together in my mind as I try to understand what God is trying to accomplish in me. Honestly there are days that it overwhelms me and I am tempted to despair, but my desire and my heart is that I would be overwhelmed by the faithfulness of my God. In His infinite goodness, He gave us this precious boy, and He promised to give me (and Ty) everything that we need for life and Godliness. This is an amazing promise from a perfect God. I am grateful for the way God is teaching me to rely on Him for everything - especially the life of this little one.

4 comments:
Oh friend, my heart is heavy for you. Whenever I think of Ty, I think that God gave him the perfect mama. You are an amazingly patient woman with such a kind heart. The Lord knew exactly what Ty would need in you and what you would need in Ty. I will pray for you. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Oh my gracious my sweet friend.....My eyes are welled up with tears as I read this. Thank you for your honesty and your amazing testimony that most people have no idea what you walk through on a daily basis because you never complain and you never wear it on your sleeve. You are a precious gift and such a faithful servant. I am so thankful for this picture that you have painted so I can be praying for you more specifically. You are perfectly made for this sweet boy. Blessings and grace to you my friend - I'm praying that Jesus Romances your heart big time this week and refills your cup!! Hugs xo
Thanks for sharing so transparently, Mary. Praying God's grace is new and refreshing to you every day.
Everything Andrea Said. I think I feel similar in that I end each day taking stock and see very clearly how insufficient I am- BUT HE IS NOT. Thank you so much. For everything you said and how you said it. And your faithful reliance on a God who sees. The One who left a Comforter for us. You are wonderful. And He made YOU to be Ty's Mom on purpose. What comfort and honor is in that thought alone. I will pray for you this week.
Post a Comment